How to be Adopted
AFL-CIO Community Services is committed to helping needy families enjoy a blessed Christmas season. We do this through our Adopt-A-Family Christmas Program. Our program has helped over 74,000 area residents enjoy the warmth of a delicious Christmas dinner and at least one gift to unwrap on Christmas morning.
Last year alone 2,507 people in the St Joseph area were blessed by being adopted through our Christmas program. If you live in Northwest Missouri or Northeast Kansas and your family would like to receive help this season just follow these steps:
1. Fill out an application at our office which is located at 1203 N 6th Street in St Joseph. We are the white metal building situated on the east side of the street. Applications will be taken November 1, 2016 through December 3, 2016.
Our hours for receiving applications are as follows:
Daytime: Monday – Wednesday – Friday 9 am – 1 pm
Tuesday-Thursday 1 pm – 6 pm
Saturday, November 19th & December 3rd 9 am – 12 pm (by appointment only*)
No applications will be taken November 24th – 25th
*Appointments are limited and only for those who cannot apply during regularly scheduled hours. Acceptable reasons for appointments are determined at staff’s discretion.
All documents must be for current or previous months!
Along with your application you will need to bring the following documents in order to present them to a staff member:
1. Social Security cards for each member of household
2. Proof of all income – TANF, child support, SSI, social security, pensions, and/or earned wages, etc.
3. Utility bills – lights, gas, water, phone, trash, etc.
4. All other expenses – food, credit cards, prescriptions, etc.
5. Rent or mortgage receipt showing your name and address, and your landlord/mortgage company’s name and phone number
6. Clothing and shoe sizes for every member of household
7. List of special foods, clothing or household needs
8. A wish list for Santa from each child (3 items maximum)
9. $2.00 processing fee
Please DO NOT bring children with you to apply
We are committed to helping families who truly need our help. If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to give us a call.